Where can I launch my canoe or kayak in the Shawsheen River?
Launches to paddle the Shawsheen River are in the following locations:
- The Shawsheen Pines Conservation Area on Lowell Junction Road (across from Pfizer)
- End of Dale Street
- Abbot Bridge Drive Conservation area at the intersection of Abbot Bridge Drive and Central Street (Warning: It is not recommended to paddle downstream from Central Street! This section has fast water sections and a breached dam with a very narrow, rocky, fast channel that is not appropriate for family friendly paddling. Also, there are no good access points downstream of Central Street.)
As with all paddling activities, safety is a primary consideration.
- Wear a properly fitting life jacket
- Scout the section to be paddled ahead of time as conditions are always changing
- Paddle in areas within your skill set
- Understand river hazards
- Consider weather and water level conditions
For more information on outdoor recreational activities in Town, please visit the Andover Trails Website at https://www.andovertrails.org/
Andover Trails is a citizens’ organization, IRS 501(c)(3) public charity, dedicated to enjoying and promoting access to our treasured outdoor resources. Andover Trails includes members of the Andover Village Improvement Society (AVIS), Andover Conservation Commission, the Appalachian Mountain Club, the Bay Circuit Alliance, The Trustees of Reservations, and just plain folk who appreciate the outdoor recreational opportunities of Andover.